How Arizona State University Increased their Donor Base and Fundraising Revenue Exponentially through Strategic Data Management, Integration, and Visualization
Like most universities, Arizona State University relies on engagement with and revenue from a passionate donor base to meet and exceed financial goals to build new facilities, create endowments, fund special programs, and much more.
Recognizing both a need and opportunity, ASU worked with SSB and utilized the power of the Microsoft Azure Cloud to execute a comprehensive, data-driven approach to becoming more efficient and effective in running the Sun Devil Club, their primary athletic fan group. The goals of the program were:
- Full integration of data between Alumni Association and Athletic Department.
- All potential donors in a clean database, enabling:
- Campus-wide coordination through Salesforce and disparate databases
- Better segmentation and wealth screening of alumni, donors, ticket holders, and former athletes in order to better target the best targets and make the right asks
- Elimination of repetitive asks and communications in the same timeframe
- Organization-wide accountability
One of the strategies was to screen for donors contacted more than five times in one year who gave only what ticket purchase required.
- They found these 50 people were eating up donor officer time and producing no increase in donation level, despite the investment of significant time
- With these findings, ASU reassigned donors to a ticket service representative, increasing donor officer productivity dramatically
The results are staggering, and ASU is now expanding to the Alumni Association and other fundraising groups on campus to integrate and better manage those efforts.
Annual Fundraising Pledged
- 2011 – $12 million
- 2012 – $17 million
- 2014 – $49 million
- 2015 – $86 million
Sun Devil Club Members
- 2011 – 7,800
- 2013 -15,000
- 2016 -16,800
- 2011 – $3.5 million
- 2012 – $8 million
- 2013 – $13.5 million
- 2016 – $30 million